Learning Management Systems…why should we use them?
- Submitting assignments and projects online
- No printing! No ink!
- No papers to lose!
- Save a tree! 🙂
- “Forum” or “Discussion Board” posts about readings
- In an online environment, students and teachers obviously have no face-to-face interaction in which to discuss questions or comments about assigned readings
- In order to hold students accountable for their assigned readings, teachers post a broad question relating to the reading and establish procedures for posting (length of response, appropriate responses, etc)
- Many teachers also require students to comment on their classmate’s posts to simulate classroom interaction and to encourage students to dive deeper into the content.
- Students can work collaboratively on assignments and discussions without being in the same room
Fast forward to today…I currently teach dual credit College American History and American Political Systems, as well as a “regular” Government class. I use edmodo in all of these classes, and students have responded extremely well.