Word Clouds can be used in so many ways in the classroom! And they’re so easy to create!
There are many Word Cloud generators available, and the program most commonly associated with Word Clouds is Wordle.
Below I’ve listed some other word cloud generators…
So, what exactly is a “word cloud?”
Word Cloud generators allow the user to copy and paste text into their platform. The generator then creates a “word cloud” which displays words used in the text. The words used most frequently are displayed larger than words used less often.
This seems like a neat tool, right?
But, how do we use this tool in the classroom? So many ways!! Users can create word clouds with content from…
- presidential speeches or inaugural addresses
- compare presidents’ word choice
- founding American documents, like the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence
- discuss the most important words in the speech
- primary source documents, like the Funeral Oration of Pericles or the Gettysburg Address
- compare and contrast documents of similar nature from different eras
- to review content
- include words that describe a term or concept in a word cloud
- make course documents visually interesting
There are so many ways to use wordle in your classroom! Teachers and students alike can create wordles relevant to class content.
Below are some great articles about using word cloud generators in your classroom! Enjoy!
Thanks for reading 🙂