When my school allowed students to bring their own devices to the classroom…and use those devices for educational purposes, I was ecstatic! All of the neat things I’d wanted to do with technology, but couldn’t because my students couldn’t access technology…I could implement those activities! So exciting!
- Establish clear guidelines
- if students use their devices inappopriately, those devices can still be confiscated and those students are still subject to disciplinary action. Students must know this!
- Provide students with a list of apps that you think are beneficial for their learning
- BE MOBILE! This is so important, it could have easily tied for the number 1 slot
- Encourage students to use their devices for educational purposes. They have access to so much information literally at their fingertips…that’s a good thing!
- just last week during a lecture, a student asked a question about an historical figure. Believe it or not, teachers do not know everything :), so I told the student to Google the person and report back to the class. I don’t have to stop class, and students get valuable information…PERFECT!