Wow! It’s been a while since my last post! I’m sure many if not all teachers can understand my crazy hectic week. I’m torn between beginning of the school year excitement and loss of summer devastation! Will I EVER accomplish what I set out to do during my summer vacation?
Ok, enough venting 🙂
How do you get excited for the new school year? Is it the opening snap of that new pack of post-it notes? The brand new pack of pens? A new cover for your curriculum binder? As I’m typing this, I’m realizing exactly how big of a nerd I am…
In addition to the nerdiness listed above, I really get excited to decorate my bulletin boards every year. I know what you’re thinking…I teach high school so I don’t get to decorate bulletin boards, right? Oh cont rare, friend!
Perhaps its the fact that I grew up the daughter of an elementary school teacher, but there’s just nothing like placing new border on a brand new color of backing paper. Ahh 🙂
As a new teacher, I remember how difficult it was for me to find bulletin board inspiration for my high school Government classroom. Virtually anything I found in teachers stores was aimed, at best, upper elementary schools. I resorted to creating my own decor, which may not always be pretty, but it is mine and it works for me!
In case you’re a teacher struggling to jazz up your high school classroom, I’ve decided to describe for you three bulletin boards which will be on display in my classroom this year. This is my first year in a 1:1 classroom…and this will also be my first year flipping…so I decided it might be time to drastically change my bulletin boards. I mean, I do have to look at them all year, so I might as well make them pretty!
Bulletin Board 1 “INFO TO KNOW”
- This bulletin board will display important information, as its name suggests! The information will be presented in QR Code form, to save space and allow for ease of access for my students. The QR Codes will link to…
- Course Syllabus
- Grading Scale
- Grading Rubrics
- Bonus Opportunity
- Teacher Contact Information
- School Website
- Teacher Website
Bulletin Board 2 “GOVERNMENT FLIPPED”
- This bulletin board is also quite self-explanatory and will display information related to our flipped classroom adventures. For example…
Bulletin Board 3 “Let’s Tweet!”
- This bulletin board is a brand new idea for me this year. As a way to encourage students to use technology sources in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner, I will be encouraging students to Tweet! Not during class discussions or activities, but I will definitely ask them for newsworthy topics and anecdotes. I will most likely need to discuss what is and what is not newsworthy 🙂
- If you’re interested in using the Twitter handles I will display on my bulletin board, please click here.