Google Drive has extraordinary possibilities in the classroom. “Google Schools” can provide students with gmail accounts, which allow students to access Google Drive. So, what’s all the hype about Google Drive in education? Here are a few examples of uses in the classroom:
- The benefits of using gmail are absolutely amazing. Communicate with students who are absent. Share documents with students. Remind classes about upcoming due dates or quizzes (they need reminding!).
- Students and teachers alike can benefit from the amazing benefits of Google documents in the classroom. Students can create and edit their documents on or offline. Students can collaborate with one another in real time, even if they’re not in the same room! Teachers can easily embed documents onto their class Google site or calendar. Students can peer edit their documents (a Common Core requirement), teachers can offer suggestions by commenting on students’ documents, the list goes ON AND ON!
- Slides are Google’s answer to Microsoft Power Point. Students and teachers alike can benefit immensely from this application. Create and share presentations with students through Drive. Easily embed presentations created with slides on a class Google site! Allow students to collaborate with each and eliminate the forgotten homework or broken jump drive excuses!
- As you’ve probably suspected by now, this application is very comparable to Microsoft’s Excel program. Create sheets to record data, create lists to export, and even compile results from a Google form! Awesome!
- What an awesome tool! Create quizzes, review activities, pre and post assessments. Use for self-evaluations after a project or paper. Have students create surveys to distribute to students. Record data collected from the form in Google sheets! Embed forms and slides on your Google site, then have students view the presentation and complete the form…this can help implement a flipped or blended learning environment!
- Create a calendar simply through your Google account. Create multiple calendars…a calendar for school events, a calendar for class events, historical events, sporting events, educational programming on TV, the possibilities are endless! Share your calendar with your students and parents, which allows everyone to know what is going on in your classroom! Embed the calendar on your class Google site. Attach links to your your calendar for students to access. Include Google documents, slides, sheets, and forms that you’ve created within your Drive on your calendar. The list goes on!
RESOURCES FOR USING GOOGLE DRIVE
Effective Ways to Use Google Drive in Education
Embedding Calendar into Google Site
Within Drive, students and teachers can give other apps “access” to open files. The list of apps that can benefit students and teachers alike within Google Drive is endless…watch for my Google Apps for Education post, coming soon!